Friday, October 21, 2011

Vince's Tiramisu

Since I've finally calmed down after meeting Duff Goldman last Saturday, it's time I posted this wonderful, and very easy recipe for tiramisu courtesy of my co-worker Vince, which I made for my mum's birthday party last month.  I first tasted this a few years ago at an office send-off party and finally asked for it before the party, since my mum's favourite dessert flavour is coffee.  The dessert was such a hit that I didn't have time to take a photo of it!



Image Courtesy of Google.com

We recently had another retirement party and I was finally able to tell Vince how much everyone enjoyed the tiramisu at the party.  He told me that it wasn't originally his recipe, but that of his late sister and that he thinks of her whenever he makes it.

Ingredients:

  • 4 eggs, warmed to room temperature
  • 4 tbsp icing sugar
  • ¼ cup cocoa powder or square of semi-sweet chocolate for decoration
  • 6 cups espresso or very strong regular coffee
  • 1/2 cup of Irish Mist (or otherclear  coffee liqueur), divided into two 1/4 cups
  • 475 gram container Mascarpone cheese
  • 400 gram package Ladyfinger cookies (Savoiardi brand recommended)

  1. Brew 6 cups of coffee, place in bowl, add desired sugar to taste and 1/4 cup of liqueur.  Allow to cool.
  2. Taking 2 bowls, separate the eggs into whites and yolks.
  3. Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form, then refrigerate.
  4. Beat the  egg yolks, adding 4 tablespoons of icing sugar gradually, followed by the second 1/4 cup of liqueur.  Once this is mixed together add the Mascarpone and finish blending together.
  5. Fold the chilled egg whites into the Mascarpone mixture.
  6. Prepare glass rectangular container (or whatever cake pan you prefer).  I used a rectangular Corningware roasting pan that I've never used for roasting!
  7. Pour coffee mixture into a low dish and dip Ladyfinger cookies one at a time, ensuring you dip quickly and don’t let them get too soaked.  Place cookies in a even layer, until the bottom of pan until the pan is fully covered.  Pour half of the Mascarpone mixture over the cookies and smooth out.  Repeat with a second layer of cookies and remaining half bowl of Mascarpone mixture.  Sprinkle cocoa with a fine strainer or grate chocolate on top, covering evenly.
  8. Cover with plastic wrap.  Refrigerate for 24 hours before serving and enjoying.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I could go for some of that right now!! mmmmmm.....one of my favourites. Put the coffee on, I'll be right over! :)

    ReplyDelete