Saturday, August 1, 2015

Carrot Zucchini Bars

I found this recipe at Better Homes and Gardens online and thought it might appeal to my co-workers, which it did!  They were so easy to make - I didn't even need to use Big Red.  Here's the original recipe, but of course I couldn't resist tweaking it.


Image Courtesy BHG.com

Mine didn't look as pretty as these.  I used a pan that was a little too large, so they needed more height, but they still tasted great.  I didn't add the raisins, since most of my buddies don't like them, so I increased the walnuts to 3/4 cup.   Instead of a half tsp of ground ginger, I used 1/4 tsp each of ginger and cinnamon.  It's a less intense flavour, but when I asked all my taste testers if if needed more ginger, they thought it was perfect.  I also copped out and used container cream cheese frosting with pure orange extract.  Everyone loved the frosting!  I'll be making these again for sure.

Ingredients 

1-1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp each ground ginger and cinnamon
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 small zucchini, shredded, approx. 1 cup.  I found a medium was too much.
1-1/2 cups shredded carrot
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup liquid honey
1/2 cup cooking oil
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 container cream cheese frosting
1 tsp finely grated orange or lemon peel OR pure lemon or orange extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Prepare a 13 x 9 inch baking pan by either lining with parchment paper (my preferred method), or using a baking spray.

In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger and cinnamon.  Whisk to combine.  In another large bowl, combine beaten eggs, brown sugar, oil, honey, vanilla, carrots and zucchini until thoroughly mixed.  Add wet to dry ingredients until just combined.  You don't want to overmix or the squares will be tough.

Spread evenly in baking pan and bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick in the centre comes out clean.  Cool completely on a wire rack before removing.  Using the parchment paper allows you to lift the entire thing out before slicing, which is why I prefer it over just spraying the pan.

I like to warm the prepared frosting in the microwave for 30 seconds then add the extract or zest, which allows it to incorporate evenly.  Once it's completely cooled, frost the entire pan worth before cutting into squares.  I cut it into 24 generous sized pieces and boy, were they gone fast.

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy. And it looks like something a baking neophyte like myself could easily make. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete