Sunday, December 29, 2013

Chocolate Toffee Shortbread Cups

Well, this Christmas week turned out to be one for the record books!  On December 21st at 9:45 pm EST, due to a very heavy freezing rain storm, our power went out.  This created a problem for this procastinator, because I had planned to bake on the 22nd!  The storm turned out to be the worst in Ontario's history and in my area of the city some residents are still waiting for electricity.  In addition to the ice, the thousands of damaged trees took out hydro lines and it's a long, slow process to repair them safely.

On to my dilemna...baking!  I thought that since I had "so much" time before Christmas, I wouldn't have to rush - ha!  I should have kept to my usual paranoid ways and started two weeks before, but not this year.  That's a mistake I won't make again, reinforced power grid or not!

Every year I like buying the December issue of Canadian Living, especially for the cookie and treat recipes.  Their recipes are tried and true and most that I've made have become family favourites.  This year I planned to make Lemon Curd Sandwich Cookies - which didn't happen - and Chocolate Toffee Shortbread Cups, which I made this morning.  They are a teenie treat and more like a candy than a cookie.


Ingredients for Shortbread Cups:
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted, room temp butter
3/4 cup icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour

Toffee Chocolate Filling:
3/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup toffee bits

In a stand mixer, blend all shortbread ingredients until fully incorporated.  Do not refrigerate.  Roll by 2 tsp increments, to make 48 balls of dough.  Because I love using my graduated baking scoops, I made sure I had the right amount and then scooped them all out very quickly.  This is enough for two mini muffin pans.  Press gently into the bottoms and up sides of mini muffin pans.  Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Once the cups are chilled, spoon rounded tsp into each cup.  Bake until edges are light golden, 20-25 minutes.  Because my oven gets quite hot, they were done in 20 minutes, so you should watch to make sure they don't over brown.  Allow to cool and then remove from pan gently, using the tip of a sharp knife to lift out the cups.

They're sweet, buttery and flaky.  I'll definitely make them again next year!  Now I just have to pick a weekend to use up a jar of Yorkshire Lemon Curd for those other cookies...

4 comments:

  1. Those sound yummy! Glad you're back in the land of electricity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lori! The best thing about this storm was how everyone pulled together, but I'll be happy with a regular Christmas next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmm. I made lemon curd this year and used it in a trifle. I'm sorry to hear about your power situation....my mom was also without power & heat for 5 days. We brought her out to London until she could go home to a warm house. She lost all her food but everything else was ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lisa - for once this part of the province got hit worse than you did. I would gladly have taken all that snow you got earlier over the ice and no electricity. I'm still planning to make the Lemon Curd Sandwich cookies, because we're going to have a big belated family dinner this month, once the kids get home from NZ. I'll let you know how they work out.

    ReplyDelete